Saturday, November 04, 2006

Slipper Madness

It started with Slippers-That Suck (see last post)

Then I made a pair of these from Knit One Felt Too. I made a test slipper and it turned out great, so I made a second one to finish the pair. Yes, they're the same size. The camera has an attitude.



Then I made a second identical pair with Patons SWS. And they turned out super cute and cozy. SWS felts up thick and dense.



Both pairs were supposed to be for me...see any problem with that??



The little ones are too small even for Hayley (major pout). Know anyone with 6" feet who needs a cozy pair of slippers??

I've already cast on a second pair of SWS slippers for me. This time, I'm making a larger size and will pay better attention during the washing machine stage.

This is a swatch of elann.com's new Super Tweed yarn coming out on Tuesday Nov. 7. It's a cottton, wool, acrylic blend that is soft and springy. Feels soft like a rag wool, but the touch of elastic will help it hold its shape better than most rag wools. Very nice to knit. I got guage with my sample (16 st = 4" on 5 1/2mm needles). The colour is Dappled Sand.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jayne: I wish my feet is 6 inches. they all look cosy and warm. I should start a pair for myslef. SK

jayne said...

Hi SK: if your feet were 6" I would gladly send them to you!

Grace said...

I am sure a children's charity would love them I knit for ONLINE ANGELS and they always need donations but there are many others They look beautiful though!

jayne said...

Yes, Grace -- good ideas. I was thinking of putting them into the pile I'm sending to the Sheltering Stitch project. They are quick and easy to make too (and I have lots of SWS).

Joan said...

No 2 fibers felt the same way. Drives me nuts too. Have ended up with more than one (unintended) Barbie accessory myself.

Thanks for the Elann tweedy swatch!

Anonymous said...

They are absolutely adorable, and any little girl who ends up with them will just love them!

I am interested in making myself a pair of slippers from SWS so I will be watching to see what size you make, what size they end, up, etc...

Anonymous said...

OOOh, Jayne, I like your elann swatch color alot better than mine-- I got 'summer tweed' to swatch up and it seems very confused re: what it wants to be; cotton candy or orangy tweed -- Yucky color combo (to me.) I'm glad you posted the color you got -- it redeems the yarn for me.
Thanks!
Trish BCG

LisaW. said...

ratz about the SWS slippers. I think I pulled mine out in the nick of time, and had to stretch them over my feet while still wet to get size--but i love the way they feel on! I made mine in women's large, (for my size 9s) but am making 2nd pair in mens size large to see if they are a little les snug once felted. Yours are really pretty. You're so good about matching your stripes and all. I'm all over the tweed when it hits the market tuesday...love the rich colors and the elasticity!

Anonymous said...

Jayne,

I love the slippers! I"m intending on making myself some soon. Is the pattern from Fiber Trends? I know that is pretty popular.

The swatch turned out great.
Libby

Kim said...

Cool slippers Jayne! I'm off to measure my feet... just kidding, the charity could use them more!

Anonymous said...

The slippers are beautiful, but too bad about the size. I would love to have more felting details: What kind of washer? How many minutes? Did you put it through the whole cycle, or stop the machine and turn the dial back? I need to know! Because of the great reviews of SWS, I purchased some for a felted purse.