Wednesday, January 03, 2007

First Finished Object of 2007!

A few people have asked for reminders about the pattern I used for the side-to-side cardi. I got the pattern from the Debbie Bliss pattern book for Alpaca/Silk yarn. It is a lovely collectin of patterns for aran weight yarn. I have me eye on several of them and couldn't resist this book. Have you crumbled yet, Bets?



The pattern is called "Lara" and I knitted it in Gedifra English Tweed (70% merino, 20% polyamide, 10% angora). I thought I'd need eight balls. I bought nine. I used just under seven (800 meters) to make the smallest size (34/36). Leftovers...hmmm...hat? Scarf? Mitts? English Tweed gave me about 17 st = 4" on 5mm needles.

The pattern is clear and very straightforward. It is all knit in one piece. I enjoyed knitting this piece and could see doing a second one some time. The pattern doesn't include buttonholes, but you could certainly add them in. The sweater drapes nicely whether it is pinned shut or not. It has a bit of a kimono feel when hanging open. The English Tweed has nice drape. I like pinning mine shut to show off some shaping and that big pewter-coloured pin I used.

The bottom edges tend to curl, but they are easily blocked into shape with pins while drying. I was happy and comfortable in the sweater all day yesterday (worn under my warm wool pea coat). So at least that part of me was warm and dry yesterday.




Washed and blocking, even as I speak. I can already tell that the yarn softened up very nicely in the wash. It is a Merino/Angora/Polyolyoly blend that was quite soft to begin with.





I'll pose with it on tomorrow.





Grace asked about the orange lightweight yarn from yarny Christmas buddy -- that lovely cash/merino blend. Gracie, it was Newton Country Yarns, Anaheim CA. I am not familiar with that, but there you go. I think that might be the shop. The yarn was spun in Italy. Naturally, now that I have it sitting beside me, I am happy to squeeze and cuddle it once again.

Speaking of that same yarny buddy. She also sent me some cool darning needles called Chibi. They are very smooth and have a little bend at the bottom. I used one to sew up the cardi and what a difference that little bend makes. You just scoop up the stitches as you go.

Karin asked about the word "skookum." It comes from British Columbia where there is a place called Skookumchuk, near the Skookumchuk River. It is a Chinook word. Where I live, skookum means cool, top-notch, outstanding. If you are a word-nut like me, you can read more about the town at the first site, and the word at the second site.

http://www.britishcolumbia.com/regions/towns/?townID=3517

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skookum

5 comments:

Grace said...

lovely lovely sweater Jayne!! I looked up the yarn company but their website is vague, I just hope you make something soft and sumptious with that yarn. A nice shawl for Jayne!!!

Suzann said...

I am betting it will great on you. It looks lovely. Soft yarn, mmmmmmmmmm

Anonymous said...

Great job, Skookums! (Is that appropriate?)

Joan said...

You've been tagged, Jayne!
http://vamantaknits.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I saw a birth announcement in my church newspaper (in Seattle) once for a baby named Skookumchuk. Had never heard of the place before and thought it was the oddest sounding name for a kid. Told some friends (who were then expecting a baby) about it, and we jokingly called their "bump" Skookumchuk for a while as they hadn't thought of a name for him yet.