Thursday, February 22, 2007

Goodbye Peppo



Our dear little Peppo died late last night/early this morning. Doug and I had been watching a movie until way too late. It ended just after midnight. We had noticed lately that Peps had been slowing down, so I went to check on her and have a quick cuddle. I knew as soon as I picked her up that she would not last the night. She felt very weak. So Doug and I sat with her, cuddling and petting her. She seemed to have a short series of spasms, and then she died quietly in my arms.

I know that losing a hamster is not on the same scale as losing a cat or dog, or some other long-lived pet. Hamsters just don't live long enough to make that kind of impact, but we love ours to bits. They do not smell bad the way mice and gerbils do, and they have interesting quirks and personality traits.

We got Pepper about a year and a half ago, and right away I knew she was different from any other hamster I'd ever owned. She was very gentle and loved to cuddle, curled up in the crook of my elbow. She enjoyed rolling around in her ball and somehow always ended up in the bathroom. One day, she was rolling around in her ball downstairs, and the lid of the ball fell off. Doug noticed that the ball sound had stopped and went to investigate. She had walked out of her ball and wandered behind the dryer. He called to her, and out she came, covered in dust bunnies. Her favorite foods were: corn (especially popping corn), scrambled egg, honey seed sticks, dog biscuits, cilantro, and grilled cheese sandwich. If she was fast asleep in her nest and didn't want to be disturbed, she would wave a sleepy paw as if to say: "Go Away." But if you dangled a bit of grilled cheese or cilantro (or other favorites), she would wake up almost instantly, pop up out of her nest, and accept it gladly. "Oh yeah...I could eat!"

We will miss you, Peps.

11 comments:

CatBookMom said...

Oh, dear! I never had a hamster and didn't realize how much personality they have and how much fun they can bring to their people. I am so sorry to know that you've lost your little cuddle pet. Her markings are so pretty, and I know how hard it is to lose a furry family member. I send hugs and will be thinking about you.

smariek said...

Oh how very sad. I'm so sorry for your loss. I had a hamster a long time ago and know how it feels when they must leave us. I know their life span is so much shorter than others (cats, dogs, etc), and decided afterwards that that I could never have another one.

Kim said...

Losing any pet is hard when they have worked their way into your heart. It doesn't matter if it is 10 days or 10 years.

lisa said...

pets are the best friends ever and the loss of one is a terrible thing. i am so sorry to hear about your beloved Pepper. my thought are with you.

LisaW. said...

oh jayne, i'm so sorry. poor little peppo! But i know she had a wonderful life with your family...lots of affection and fav foods..what more could a little hamster dancer want? I don't know much (anything really) about hamsters..and didn't realize how sociable they could be. Has Daisy missed her? I know you and your family will...I will be thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely little creature, both great and small. And what a short, but very full life, and happy, hamster life. Big hugs from across the sound.

Anonymous said...

Aaahh, sweet Peps appears to have been VERY loved during her time with you. My sympathy to your family, even though she was with you for a short time, it's apparent that she had an impact on you. Love your blog by the way! :-)

Grace said...

never having had a pet, nor any real desire to have one I can not relate to the loss you are going through but its upsetting to you and thats enough for me, I hope your family and you can get through this sad time with some sense of ease. I am sorry for your pain!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, Jayne, about dear Peppo. I have had pets die in my arms, and although it is painful, it helps to have them so near your heart. Big hugs to you and your family.

Joan said...

What a wonderful eulogy, Jayne. Good bye little Peppo and your family will see you at The Bridge.

Anonymous said...

My condolences, Jayne! She was very cute and had such a sweet personality. We had two hamsters so I know what you mean about each having their own unique personality. One was a biter & the other sweet as can be, would eat sunflower seeds while sitting in your hand. It was so sad when they died, that I like smariek could never have another one. I hope you feel better knowing that you gave Peppo a great time during her time here.