Monday, February 26, 2007

Ugly Betty Goes to Afghanistan



If you've been reading my blog from the beginning, you'll know that I have this singleton sock I call the Ugly Betty Sock. The yarn is nice quality, and the sock was knit well, but that colourway just didn't turn out the way I was hoping. It seems to lack a sense of...style. I declared the sock to be a permanent orphan since I had no intention of knitting a second one.

Until I was reading Joan's blog and discovered that they need socks in Afghanistan. And they like bright colours. I put all other projects on hold and cast on for a small pair of teal/marl socks in Cascade 220. Finished the first teal sock this morning and remembered dear Ugly Betty. Now why shouldn't she get a chance to warm feet like she was meant to do?

So I have one of each, and a second Betty on the needles. I'm hoping to have both pair finished up by Wednesday to allow a week for the mail delivery.

If you are interested in whipping up a pair of socks for some school children in Afghanistan, you can get all the details here.



Daisy says she doesn't need socks but is always happy to receive apples.

2 comments:

Joan said...

They are gorgeous, Jayne! And beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A4A says send bright colorful socks, not my personal choice (nor yours it seems)but some children in Kabul are going to be so grateful to you for your warm toasty Bettys.
Thanks for jumping in, Jayne!

CatBookMom said...

What a lovely way for U.B. to spend her life! Good for you!

Mine are done and woven and darned (the short-row heel left gaps). I'm going to include/attach a bit of yarn for darning and an old straight darning needle from my mom's stuff.

A friend in Sidney (BC) suggested a tube sock pattern, and I'm going to try to make another pair using that pattern. \