Wednesday, April 11, 2007

101 Uses For Ladder Lace Part 2

In yesterday's post, I showed a picture of ladder lace knitted up in a basic garter stitch. It looks pretty, and it would work out fine, but last night I frogged that swatch for an idea I like even better.



This is the same ladder lace, and I'm working it in a simple eyelet lace pattern. I like this a lot, and it makes the knitting more interesting for me.

I cast on 26 stitches on 6mm needles.
Row 1: K2; then YO, K2tog until last two stitches; K2
Row 2: K2; then purl until last 2 stitches; K2

That's it. You can make it as wide as you like for scarf, wide scarf, stole, shawl, whatever. My 26 stitch scarf is about 7 1/2 inches wide.



I'm also going to get fancy with it. It will have a beaded fringe. I am tying a strand around the bar between each eyelet and beading both ends of the strand. It is easy to string beads onto the ladder lace. You just poke one of the nylon strand bits through the bead, and it pushes up and over the flag bits very easily. I have a bead sitting on each flag bit and I tied a knot after the final beads.

The beads give the ends of the scarf more weight and drape, and they swing like a bead curtain. And then there is the elegance factor. And the show off factor.



Not sure yet how much ladder lace the scarf will take, but I'm thinking two skeins. I will let you know how long it is when I get to the end of the first skein.

3 comments:

Madge said...

So glam! Love the stitch/bead combo!

Suzann said...

I think it would make a really cool summer shrug with the beads. Of course I live in Va Beach. It is steaming in the summer. But go inside any public place and it is arctic cold. Also the beach is quite cool at night. There are concerts at the beach at night, and you do need a lightweight cover up.
The color is beautiful Jayne

LisaW. said...

that is totally divalicious! (i just knew your creative artistic genius would come up with something special for the RR :)