Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Knitting Along

The Knitting Channel is hosting a KAL for Berroco's Wren Cardi. Hop on over and sign up if you'd like to knit along with the rest of us. This time, I think I might actually have some companions in knitting.



I'm knitting Wren with a yarn I picked up on a steal from elann.com last summer. It is Filatura Di Crosa Adhoc Sandalo, in a colour called Cinnamon. The yarn is 100% Silk Noile, and meant to be knit at a DK gauge, but I'm knitting it slightly airy on 5mm needles for Wren. The pattern calls for worsted gauge (20st = 4"), and I'm getting that gauge on the 5mm.



I have started the back in the extra small size, but made a modification to get a 17" back instead of 16". I cast on 99 sts on 4mm and knit the ribbed rows; then decreased to 90 instead of 80 sts. Then I'm working a few extra shaping decreases through the waist. I'm going to work the front as is because the pattern already includes extra fabric for wrapping around my less-than-endowed, um, front parts. I'm thinking about modifying the sleeves to make them 1x1 ribbed overall, but haven't decided yet. And I'm thinking of modifiying the shawl collar to a narrow band of edging to get a different effect there too, but again haven't decided.

No progress to report on Moonlight Sonata, but I figure that since I seem to be K-alonging with myself on this one, I can set whatever pace I wish.

I have made nice progress on my first sock in Butterscotch DK. I love this cheerful colour. I've just arrived at the heel flap. Had lots of time to work on it yesterday while sitting around in various waiting rooms.



A little weekend work, ready to get packaged up and mailed off. Here we have (from left to right): APRICOT(handwash merino DK); FUZZY PEACH (totally reminds me of the candies/ handwash merino DK); and two skeins of BUTTERSCOTCH (washable sport sock/handwash merino fingering).



And WOOT! It's GIRLY CAMO. I've figured it out for the second time. This time done on Debbie Bliss Washable Merino DK. Mmmm...mmmm...and available in shop.

6 comments:

CatBookMom said...

Pretty, pretty! You've made a big start on Wren. I think I may have found a yarn for this; Classic Elite's Provence is a plied, not cabled cotton. More deets on my blog. I'll be emailing you directly about other stuff.

And about KALing alone on Moonlight Sonata? Nah. I'm still stuck on Row 2 - the first time!

Anonymous said...

I love the colors of the girly camo. It's so pretty.

LisaW. said...

jayne jayne jayne...that girlie camo my favorite to date! I may just hafta order some up from you. drat! and i planned to buy no yarn in April...oh well....not like i'm great at sticking to THAT plan...love your yarn for your wren too! I've got the sleeves and left front completed, and working on rt front now (yuck reverse shaping without written out instructions) details s/b on the blog later this week.

Anonymous said...

Jayne,

Those new yarns are just wonderful. I'm still drooling over my Superkydd mohair I got from you Saturday. I think the copperberry will be first up. I've got an idea what I want to do with it. I think oldest DD has to have the copper blaze unless I decide to keep both of them for myself. ;-}

Thanks to you, I cast on Wren in Katrina Glacier today. Thanks! Your Wren is looking good, wish I had that long stretch of stockinette back finished.

jayne said...

Lisa, you're leading the pack on Wren, I'm thinking. Speedy knitter! Girlie Camo is high up on my fave list too.

Benne, you're a generous mama to knit up that lush mohair for DD. I'd love to see what you end up making.

Yay, actual KAL people!

Midnight Purls said...

Wow, I love that girlie camo colorway. You've got a great eye for color.