Thursday, July 05, 2007

Breakfast of Champions

Okay, I realize that I've been a slack-ass blogger these days. It's just too freakin' hot around here. I think it's finally time to admit that I'm not really a summer person. I love sunshine, but heat makes me cranky.

I used to spend the summer outdoors, getting a great tan and, well, getting a great tan. I think I've probably had my last tan. The last few years I've noticed that I don't tan, I blotch. My skin itches and changes, and I'm thinking this might not be altogether healthy for me. I do love to swim outdoors though, so I'm looking forward to long swims in the lake that is about twenty minutes away from where I live.

In case you haven't heard, there's a Simpsons movie coming out soon. Some 7-11 stores have converted into Kwik-E-Marts to promote the movie. Apparently these are very rare, and the 7-11 a few miles from here is the only one in Canada. Or one of a very few. The story keeps changing. I go there to use the post office sometimes, and last time I went I had to pick up some junk for my kids, who are major Simpsons fanatics. No matter what movie, cultural event, or life issue comes up in casual or even serious conversation, my kids say the same thing: "Oh! There's a Simpsons about that..."

You'd be amazed at the education they've received, courtesy of Homer, Marge, Bart and the gang.



IT CAME AND IT TOOK OVER THE WHOLE HOUSE!!!

This yarn business has taken over my house. Some days, I beat it back with a broom into dim corners and downstairs, where it lurks just waiting for me to turn my back so that it can burst out all over the place again.

It has a whole bedroom to itself, half the kitchen and sometimes more, most of the dining room, part of the living room, and quite often a good deal of the family room.

I bought myself a tool box for my stitch marker supplies. Yup, one of those manly red tool-boxes. I love it. Now I can keep everything for stitch markers in one place instead of in ten. Things have a way of creeping out though...

During the cooler months, I dry my yarn in the room where the furnace is. Things dry in a day or so there. Lately, our furnace never comes on, so I'm drying in the dining room, where it is warm all day and all night.


So Proud I could just Burst!

I love love love this colorway. Haven't been able to get to the lake on account of Hayley's cold, so I've been beating the heat by staying inside and dyeing up all kinds of fun new colorways. This is one of my favorite yarns yet. I'm calling it Borealis.



Not much happening on the knitting front, but I will post a Sockapalooza update tomorrow.

11 comments:

Alyson said...

Borealis IS gorgeous! You should be proud!!

We have a Kwik-E-Mart in our area too - we just hit it up yesterday, and it was a blast. People everywhere...of course the employees were as surly as ever, but I didn't care; I got a Squishee and had Krusty-O's for dinner. :-D

Grace said...

beautiful new color Hope DD is well soon

Zu said...

Oh!! I want a kwik-e-mart and some Crusty -O's!! My kids and I are hoping to see the movie. That yarn is fabulous!! Oh you're such a temptress! If only I wasn't broke cause I'd be heading to your shop asap! :-)

Lothlorian said...

I am lost for words!!!! that is so pretty!

Joan said...

Is that brown or purple in the Borealis?

jayne said...

Hi Joan,

It is brown AND purple

I can't do black, but I can get close by layering on colour. The "black" is verry dark brown,wine-brown,purple brown. It is a warm black with red/purple undertones.

Does that help?

I can send you a snip if you'd like.:)

Anonymous said...

That is a really dazzling colorway... almost as good as Austin Peacock! ;)

I tried handpainting yarn yesterday and am super-pleased with the results, and I'd like to thank you, because you and your lovely yarns are my inspiration! (Details on my blog...)

jayne said...

Cool, Terri, off to have a look!

jayne said...

Oooh! Everybody, go check out Terri's yarn. It's Faboo!!!

Lol, alyson, the employees are so clued out about the whole thing. They have all the stuff, but they seem not to have any idea what it's all about (I mean NO idea). Why was that store chosen??

Skein Queen said...

Know what you mean about yarn taking over the house! Love Borealis colourway. Black is difficult to achieve - haven't succeeded yet - but yours looks good and dark. And the contrast with the emerald green is gorg.

Suzann said...

Jayne,Borealis is beautiful. I don't think I have ever seen you take a wrong step. You colors sense is perfect.
Oh and I love your Simple Knitted Bodice is so perfect. I have loved that pattern since it first showed up. But I think maybe I am a bit past it for the top. Thin enough but sadly not young enough. I can't wait to see it on you :-)