Wednesday, June 27, 2012

What's a Yowe?



Guess what I'm going to knit???

Did you guess Rams & Yowes (ewes) by Kate Davies? Cuz I'm going to knit that.


I popped into Black Sheep Yarns today to say hi to Helen and generally be a nuisance. Helen had just got in a bunch of Jamieson & Smith Shetland wool yarn in natural sheep colours, and she showed me the pattern for a blanket called rams & yowes by Kate Davies that she was planning to knit. When you own a store called Black Sheep yarns, and a pattern comes along that features black sheep, and it is awesome, then you have to knit that thing. And so do I,  copycat that I am. I have to have that blanket. And to get it, I'm going to have to knit it. No one else is going to make me one.

You need all nine colours of the Jamieson & Smith Shetland to make the blanket, and this yarn has super funky names like yogely and frugworth and gilgamesh. Ok, I'm kidding, but the actual names are pretty funny. This is lovely wooly yarn with the right amount of toothiness and earthiness. And the colours are very appealing too.

I teased Helen that I would race her to finish it, but the truth is that it will probably take me a while to get this done. I wasn't looking to knit a sheep blanket when I walked into Black Sheep today, but I am looking for a few other things to do this summer besides working on my Etsy shop, keeping up with my two teenagers, and working my way through a mile-long to-do list for the house. I'm determined to remind my not-so-flexible body how to do yoga (neglected for years), and I want to knit something cool -- like that sheep blanket.

1 comment:

Andi said...

This is going to be beautiful. I have been eyeing that pattern. I have never used Jamieson & Smith, is it soft?